Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Celebrity spotting!

I forgot to mention that we went to see Mother Courage in Central Park last week, the second and last play for this year's Shakespeare in the Park. I queued for 6 hours, getting to the park at 7.15am - and I was still 150 people back - apparently the first 20 or so were there before 4am.

Why the popularity?

Meryl Streep and Kevin Kline were headlining!

It was a good play - very timely with the theme of war and with a number of not-so-subtle jabs at the current administration - but very long at 3 1/2 hours.

Still, it was Meryl Streep and Kevin Kline - and lets face it, you don't get much better than that...

EXCEPT...

We live opposite one of the cities' big ABC studios where they film The View (a daily chat show with a lot of opinionated women - sounds thrilling) and All My Children, one of the daily soaps here in the States.

I'd walked up to meet Gill at the subway tonight and we headed to the supermarket for some laundry products (its the little details like that that build up the tension, isn't it?) - and as we passed the studios, we passed a guy in his late 40s/early 50s coming the other way, wearing a polo shirt and slacks.

I thought he looked a little familar but couldn't place him and was more interested in seeing what kind of iPod he was listening to (I have to say the pink earbuds did nothing for his masculinity).

But he was barely past us when I heard a hyperventilating behind me.

It was Gill, sputtering with excitement - "Do you know who that was?"

I didn't.

"That was John James!"

I looked at her blankly.

"Jeff Colby! From Dynasty!"

And it was...I don't think I've ever seen her so excited.

Which is kind of worrying, when you think about it.

He used to look like this:

And now he looks like this:


But he's still enough to send Gill weak at the knees!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home