Monday, June 12, 2006

Ugh

Just so you know, I realise there's a lot of entries with this date - since getting to NYC I've had connectivity issues so I've been keeping track of stuff on Word - but now I'm posting them all!

Monday 5 June

Lots happened today…almost none of it good.

Firstly, and I won’t go into details, but something I ate last night disagreed with me. Repeatedly. And to the extent that I spent a considerable amount of time on the toilet. Say no more.

Except that as we were also moving hotels, it wasn’t ideal timing. The Ramada was only booked till Sunday night, and as we don’t expect to be in the flat properly till the end of the week, we had to book somewhere else. The only problem is that the entire city of New York is booked out – I blame Spring Break.

We managed to get one in Great Neck, Gill’s work town (and it’s actually really nice) but transferring half the bags over here was a pain under the circumstances.

Gill went first, taking some bags with her. As I wasn’t feeling great, I followed a bit later and on the train – and got very acquainted with the restroom onboard, as I spent about three stations worth of the trip hunched over it spewing my guts up.

At least Long Island Rail Road keep them clean…

After dropping the bags, I then headed back to the city to take our remaining bags to the apartment building – no easy task as these are four heavy, heavy bags. But I made it…and then they refused to store them (despite the concierge the day before saying it would be okay). I managed to talk them round, then realised that I’d left a shirt back in the hotel…so I had to go back to get that, then head back out to Long Island to check in to the new hotel. Where I was early so I had to go somewhere and wait.

I decided to risk a piece of cake at Starbucks, and it seemed to stay down. After I checked us in, I had a shower, read a bit and crawled into bed (at about 4.30). Gill got back from work about 7, and she had some take out pasta while I languished feeling sorry for myself.

Then I threw up all the lemon cake…

Honestly, my wife is a saint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home